As we spring into summer we are all more aware that the days are longer and lighter – hooray!
This seasonal change prompts us to increase the amount of time we spend outdoors, encouraging a more active lifestyle as we as we get out and about as much as we can to make the most of the Great British Summertime; evenings, weekends and any time off work or study.
We breath a sigh of relief, comforted by the idea that this yearly increase in activity is the quick fix to all the time we spend sedentary working and studying all week. Because surely this increase in mobility counteracts the physical effects sitting for hours at a time all week, right?
The Sitting Disease
Although this extra activity does have short term advantages, there is still concern for the effects on our physical and mental well-being caused by the long periods of sitting we participate in during working and study hours also known as ‘The Sitting Disease’
According to the World Health Organisation (WHO) the lack of physical activity is one of the TOP FOUR leading causes of preventable death worldwide, ahead of high cholesterol, alcohol and drug abuse.
Leading health expert, Dr Stuart Biddle, Professor of Active Living & Public Health, Victoria University, Australia claims "Even if you exercise for at least 30 minutes most days, you are still storing up health problems from being sedentary too much. The message is clear - move more and sit less."
So, how can I be more active in the office?
‘Our bodies are designed to stand and move for long periods of time. And we automatically shift our weight and move around while standing. Standing prevents both the repetitive stress and muscle degeneration that is caused by sitting.’
11 Top Tips for ‘Active Working’:
1. Start your own office campaign – to help promote active working, raise awareness of ‘the sitting disease’ and encourage staff to #movemore in their office environment.
2. Educate your staff and colleagues – on the affects sedentary working has
3. Practice what you preach – make sure your working environment supports these changes.
4. Review your office furniture – try a sit stand desk and height adjustable chair.
5. Encourage breaks for movement – get your office active at on screen alarms for when users have been sitting for more than 90 minutes.
6. Relocate your printers – so users need to stand up and walk to get their printing.
7. Make & Take phone calls standing up – this also gives a boost to voice quality and confidence.
8. Rethink your meeting furniture – create flexible spaces using reconfigurable spaces to encourage movement or consider standing height options.
9. Don’t be a keyboard warrior – go to a colleague’s desk to talk to them instead of emailing.
10. Avoid the lift – use the stairs instead.
11. Walking & Talking – attempt a meeting whilst walking, inside or outside the office.
As an employer, what are the long-term benefits to my company?
Reduced Sick Leave
It is suggested that by encouraging active working, employees and staff are healthier and happier, reducing the amount of sick leave taken.
With the reduction in time off comes the increase in output, creating are more profitable workplace. Benefiting both employer and employees.
Happy Employees are Productive Employees
Increased activities increase mood and energy levels. This reduces stress and anxiety and improves sleep, encouraging productivity and engagement.
An Added Benefit?
Employees are always looking for additional perks and benefits in their place of work. Millennials, in particular, highlight this as something that is especially important to them. Wouldn’t it be fantastic if you could class your work-space as your employee benefit?
Can JPA help me with this?
Yes, we can!
How can JPA Furniture Help?
As specialists in positive work-spaces and well-being we can knowledgeably advise on the best solution for your interiors.
• We can carry out an existing workplace audit & evaluation to review your current layout and suggest how the space can be developed to help your staff and employees move more in their working environment.
• We can help you ensure your workplace adheres to ‘active working’ Standards, Specifications, DSE & H&S Issue.
Space Planning & Design:
• With 45 years + experience in individually tailored office transformations we have developed an advanced space planning and design service.
• We can help you design activity into your work-space
• Provide you with 2D and 3D walkthroughs and visuals of your project to give you a realistic and accurate view of how your project will look.
• We are a single source provider for all your active work-space solutions. As a dealer we can provide you with solutions from a wide range of manufacturers.
• Our dedicated project management team will guide you through the full process.
• Risk assessments and method statements will be provided for all the products in your new ‘active working’ space.
• Post occupation service team – looking after even after the job is complete.
• We are able to provide standard and bespoke manufactured products.
• JPA provide furniture maintenance and servicing to assist you with your project during and after completion.
• We ensure we provide the best products to adhere to your project standards, specification and procurement.
Move & Relocation:
• Reconfiguration planning
• Auditing and asset management
• Storage and crate hire
• Transport and labour hire
At JPA we take pride in looking after the environment as well as our clients, so sustainability is a key part of our project process:
• Ethical and sustainable procurement
• Green building credits – Ska, BREEAM, LEED
• Furniture re-use and re-homing
• Certified furniture recycling and zero landfill